Wednesday, September 28, 2005

The Artist's Prayer (first draft)

God, help me not to be ashamed or embarrassed of the gifts that you have given me.

Help me to be thankful for the level of ability that you have provided, even when I look around and see people gifted with more than I think I have.

Give me pride to use my gifts to the best of my ability, determination to not give up when my gifts seem insufficient, and courage to share them with others regardless of any potential criticism or reprisal I can imagine.

Enable me to trust that my gifts can be used to your satisfaction regardless of how I personally feel about them.

Grant me joy in the use of my gifts and pleasure in the act of applying them, rather than basing my fulfillment upon particular outcomes that I cannot ultimately control.

Lend me boldness to say things others have not said and go places others have not gone, even while removing my reluctance to revisit themes and ideas others have already visited if necessary.

May I think about using my gifts less and instead use them more.